Nestlé is the biggest food company in the world – our products are in 97 percent of American households, and every day, our brands are chosen by millions of people in the U.S. and all over the world. We know we have a responsibility to hold all of our products to the highest safety and quality standards, and we believe our consumers deserve to have confidence in the foods they feed their families.
Did You Know Nestlé is...
Fostering a Culture of Quality
- At Nestlé, "Quality means more" is a mind-set. We emphasize that quality is not just about products and services. Quality is also about behavior.
- We foster a culture of quality with a vision to develop, manufacture and sell products with zero defects that deliver on our nutrition, health and wellness promise to customers.
- We encourage responsibility among employees and vendors through instruction, training, and effective communication.
Calling for Food Safety Prioritization
- We comply with all applicable U.S. laws, regulations, and our own Nestlé requirements.
- Beyond compliance, we’ve publicly called for Congress to prioritize funding of the Food Safety Modernization Act (The Hill, May 2015) to advance the way we ensure the safety of our food at each step in the supply chain.
Improving Quality Management Systems
- We continuously improve our quality management systems to guarantee food safety, prevent quality incidents, and eliminate defects.
- We implement the integrated Nestlé Quality Management System (NQMS) and Food Safety System Certification (FSSC 22000) across our organization.
- Our internal NQMS encompasses the whole value chain from “farm to fork” to ensure appropriate controls are in place at each step so our products are safe and compliant.
Investing in Food Safety & Quality
One of the foundations of our food safety and quality programs in the U.S. is the Nestlé Quality Assurance Center (NQAC) in Dublin, Ohio, a state-of-the-art facility designed to raise the bar for the verification of food safety and quality standards and provide support for the implementation and maintenance of food safety programs.
- Together with the 25 state-of-the-art NQAC labs across the world, NQAC Dublin staff – including more than 220 chemists, microbiologists, food scientists, and quality specialists – offer specialized quality and food safety services 24/7 to Nestlé production systems throughout the Americas.
- Together the NQACs perform more than 3 million analyses per year.
- NQAC Dublin is one of the largest and most comprehensive quality centers in the world, with $31 million invested since 2014 to double the center’s state-of-the-art chemistry and microbiology labs to increase capacity, increase efficiency, and most importantly, improve safety.
- The latest renovation expanded the center by 32,000 square feet, bringing the total facility size to 82,000 square feet.
- Virtually every Nestlé product made in North America can be tested at this facility to evaluate safety and quality.
- These labs go above and beyond mandated product testing to ensure products don’t include harmful items (such as salmonella, listeria) but do include the nutrients listed on their labels.
- They can examine a broad range of samples, from soil and water to raw and processed ingredients, to processing environments, finished products and even packaging.