Company Reaffirms Commitment to Sustainable Practices on Earth Day
This Earth Day millions of Americans are being asked to think about their environmental impact and what they can individually do to protect and improve our planet. On the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, Nestlé in the United States proudly reaffirms its commitment to sustainable business practices.
Nestlé in the United States consists of five operating companies: Nestlé USA, Nestlé Waters North America, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, Nestlé Nutrition and Nestlé Professional which together operate in 47 states and employ over 44,000 people.
“Many people are surprised to learn that Nestlé makes more than chocolate,” said Heidi Paul, Vice President, Corporate Affairs, Nestlé Waters North America. “We’re actually one of the world’s leading health, wellness and nutrition companies and make some of the best-known brands and products people see every day.”
Nestlé’s commitment to sustainable business practices is part of the company’s global business philosophy, Creating Shared Value. Core to the business model is working to ensure that the company is environmentally responsible and mindful of water and the other natural resources we all depend on.
“At Nestlé, the way we make our products is just as important as the quality of the products themselves,” said Paul. “To celebrate this Earth Day, Nestlé in the United States will reinforce its commitment to the environment among all our employees and continue to be environmental leaders in our industry and in our communities.”
To celebrate this Earth Day, Nestlé in the United States is launching a number of specific initiatives including:
- Through the Do-Gooder Design Challenge, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company’s Yesterday’s News® brand cat litter is challenging four leading green designers to “Do Good” by transforming recycled newspaper into fashion-forward designs to benefit green charities. Yesterday’s News is an eco-friendly cat litter made from recycled materials including paper and sawdust.
- Nestlé’s Purina PetCare Company created the “Together We Can” recycling campaign aimed at raising awareness around the recyclability of pet food cans.
Nestlé Waters North America is conducting a number of programs to educate and encourage their 8,045 employees and families to recycle, such as:
- Providing each employee a t-shirt made out of recycled bottles that carries a recycle message and encourages them to be advocates for recycling;
- Launching a calendar contest for employees’ children to submit artwork explaining why they recycle. Calendars will be available for employees at the end of the year;
- Collaborating with ProjectWET to create a book on recycling that will be sent to all employees by Earth Day;
- Developing a portal where employees can learn more ways to recycle at home, at work and on-the-go;
- Donating any profits from the Nestlé Waters North America Greenwich cafeteria on Earth Day to the Greenwich Tree Conservancy to help replace at least one of the 700 trees lost during the recent storms.
In the United States we do a lot for the environment every day. A few examples include:
- Majority of Nestlé plants in the United States are ISO 14001 certified, an internationally-recognized set of standards for environmental management systems. We not only instituted strong and progressive environmental programs, we opened up our factories to outside auditors to prove it!
- Ten new U.S. factories have received LEED certification. LEED stands for “Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.” Certification is issued by the U.S. Green Building Council when you prove this is sustainable construction. It shows we make serious investments today that will reap environmental benefits forever.
- Over the past five years, Nestlé Waters North America reduced water consumption in its factories to where production of our product takes less water than any other packaged beverage.
- Nestlé Purina PetCare Company is the first U.S. manufacturer to use renewable solar energy for the production of pet food.
- The best way to reduce packaging waste is to reduce packaging. Nestlé Waters North America’s recyclable Eco-Shape® .5 -liter bottle contains 35 percent less plastic than the same size bottle produced four years ago.
- Nestlé Waters North America is investing in hybrid delivery trucks that are expected to deliver a 25 percent improvement in fuel economy.
- In Solon, OH, approximately 80 percent of Nestlé USA’s Prepared Foods factory’s energy boiler needs are met with methane gas emissions from a landfill, greatly reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Through the HÄAGEN-DAZS Loves Honey Bees™ campaign, Häagen-Dazs has donated $620,000 to researchers at Penn State and the University of California, Davis to help discover why honey bees are dying off across North America. Please visit HelpTheHoneyBees.com for more information.
About Nestlé in the United States
Nestlé in the United States consists of five main businesses: Nestlé USA, Nestlé Waters North America, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company, Nestlé Nutrition and Nestlé Professional. Together, these companies operate in more than 120 locations in 47 states and employ over 44,000 people. It is Nestlé S.A.’s largest market with combined product sales in the United States totaling more than $28 billion in 2009.
Committed to becoming the very best Nutrition, Health and Wellness company, Nestlé in the United States sells some of the world’s best-known brands and products seen every day, and that families have come to enjoy and rely on for years. Key brands include LEAN CUISINE®, NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE®, POWERBAR®, NESTLÉ® PURE LIFE®, POLAND SPRING®, GERBER®, and PURINA ONE®.
To learn more about Nestlé, including its commitment to the environment, please visit: CreatingSharedValue.org, NestleNutrition.com, NestleUSA.com, NestleWatersNorthAmerica.com, Purina.com and NestleProfessional.com.
About Nestlé USA
Named one of “The World’s Most Admired Food Companies” in Fortune magazine for fourteen consecutive years, Nestlé provides quality brands and products that bring flavor to life every day. From nutritious meals with Lean Cuisine® to baking traditions with Nestlé® Toll House®, Nestlé USA makes delicious, convenient, and nutritious food and beverage products that make good living possible. That’s what “Nestlé. Good Food, Good Life” is all about. Well-known Nestlé USA brands include: Nestlé® Toll House®, Nestlé® Nesquik®, Nestlé® Coffee-mate®, Stouffer’s®, Lean Cuisine®, HOT POCKETS® and LEAN POCKETS® brand sandwiches, Nescafé®, NESTLÉ® Juicy Juice®, Buitoni®, DREYER’S/EDY’S®, Nestlé® Crunch®, Nestlé® Butterfinger®, Wonka®, DIGIORNO®, TOMBSTONE® and CALIFORNIA PIZZA KITCHEN® frozen pizza. Nestlé USA, with 2010 sales of $10.4 billion, is part of Nestlé S.A. in Vevey, Switzerland — the world’s largest food company with a commitment to Nutrition, Health & Wellness — with 2010 sales of $105 billion.Request permission from Nestlé USA.
- Heidi Paul, Nestlé Waters North America, (203) 863-0397, [email protected]