At Nestlé, we’re striving for a more sustainable future, towards a healthier planet, a stronger and more responsible society, and a thriving economy. Our goals are ambitious – we aim to achieve net zero emissions by 2050 and we have a detailed plan to get there. The majority of our packaging is recyclable or designed to be, and we are helping advance recycling infrastructure – because it should be easier for you to recycle. We are also partnering with 500,000 farmers globally to accelerate the shift to regenerative agriculture, and investing in renewable energy.
Our innovation in sustainability includes reimagining all aspects of our business, from the ingredients we use, to the packaging that keeps our food safe, to how we make and transport our products, and support our communities.
Ultimately, our goal is to leave the world better than we found it.
Our brands continue to delight our consumers with great-tasting food and beverages, while making it easier for them to make a sustainable choice when it comes to the food and beverages they, and their pets, enjoy.
Brands in Action
Our work towards a more sustainable future starts on the farm. We’re helping create a regenerative, healthy food system—one that is resilient and replenishes the land, supports livelihoods for individuals, and enhances the health of the environment.
Our ingredients represent the largest percentage of our carbon footprint, and our biggest opportunity to have a positive impact on climate. Here’s how we’re making an impact:
- Reducing emissions on the farm: We partner with farmers, suppliers, and industry experts to reduce the climate impact on farms.
- Using regenerative farming practices: We encourage our farmers to use regenerative agriculture practices that replenish the land, enhance biodiversity and absorb carbon from the atmosphere.
- Supporting farmers and communities: Farmer livelihoods and rural communities are vitally important to the success of a healthy food system.
Commitments in Action
We’re helping create a waste-free future by designing our packaging to be as sustainable as possible, and are constantly innovating to find ways to extend the use of packaging materials as a resource. To do this, we’re:
- Designing innovative packaging: We’re designing our packaging to use less materials, incorporating more recycled content, and testing new alternative materials to improve recyclability.
- Improving recycling infrastructure: The recycling system in the U.S. is confusing. It needs to be easy for consumers to recycle, and to get there, the recycling infrastructure and capabilities across the U.S. must evolve.
- Partnering and advocating for a circular economy: We are participating in innovative collaborations that are charting a path to a circular economy for packaging including The Recycling Partnership and the U.S. Plastics Pact.
Make and Transport
We’re continuing to transform our operations to make sure we produce and transport our products in the most sustainable way while also working to benefit the communities in which we live and operate. This work includes:
- Creating zero waste operations: We achieved zero waste for disposal at all manufacturing facilities and distribution centers, meaning all locations have found ways to recycle, compost or recover energy from waste materials that would have otherwise gone to landfill.
- Using more renewable energy: All Nestlé facilities across the U.S. will be using 100% renewable electricity by 2025.
- Being good water stewards: We are dedicated to using water more efficiently, treating discharge water effectively and protecting watersheds in our communities.
- Building a cleaner logistics and transportation network: To reduce emissions and the use of fossil fuels, we are creating a cleaner, leaner logistics network by optimizing our routes, filling vehicles more efficiently and switching to low emission fuels.
From supporting people and their pets, to enabling access to opportunities for next generation talent, and partnering with national and local organizations to help end hunger, we are working to help ensure thriving, resilient communities and economies today and for generations to come.
- Supporting access to food: We partner with Feeding America through their network of foodbanks across the United States, as well as with other local foodbanks in our home communities to help address hunger.
- Empowering the next generation: Through our Nestlé Needs YOU initiative, we are helping equip the future workforce with information and skills to thrive in their careers.
- Caring about people and their pets: During our annual Week of Service, approximately 3,500 employees mobilize across the U.S. to give back to our communities.