At Nestlé, we’re striving for a more sustainable future, towards a healthier planet, a stronger and more responsible society, and a thriving economy. Our goals are ambitious – we aim to achieve net zero emissions by 2050 and make all our packaging reusable or recyclable by 2025, and we’re investing more than $3 billion globally over the next few years to accelerate our work.
Our innovation in sustainability includes reimagining all aspects of our business, from the ingredients we use, to the packaging that keeps our food safe, to how we make and transport our products.
Ultimately, our goal is to leave the world better than we found it.
Our brands continue to delight our consumers with great-tasting food and beverages, while innovating to meet their expectations that our products be good for them and good for the planet. Many of our brands, including PERRIER®, Acqua Panna®, S.Pellegrino®, Nespresso®, Garden of Life®, Sweet Earth Foods®, and Blue Bottle coffee have already committed to carbon reduction in the coming years.
Brands in Action
Our work towards a more sustainable future begins on the farm, helping create a regenerative, healthy food system. We’re doing this by:
- Reducing Emissions on the farm: We partner with farmers, suppliers, and industry experts to reduce our carbon footprint on farms.
- Using regenerative farming practices: We encourage our farmers to use regenerative agriculture practices that replenish the land, enhance biodiversity and absorb carbon from the atmosphere.
- Supporting Farmers and communities: Farmer livelihoods and rural communities are vitally important to the success of a healthy food system.
We’re helping create a waste-free future by designing our packaging to be as sustainable as possible, and are constantly innovating to find ways to extend the use of packaging materials as a resource. To do this, we’re:
- Designing Innovative Packaging: We’re designing our packaging to use less materials, leveraging reusable and refillable systems and testing new alternative materials to improve recyclability.
- Improving recycling infrastructure: The recycling system in the U.S. is confusing. It needs to be easy for consumers to recycle, and to get there, the recycling infrastructure and capabilities across the U.S. must evolve.
- Partnering and advocating for a circular economy: We are partnering with leading organizations and participating in innovative collaborations that are charting a path to a circular economy.
Make and Transport
We’re continuing to transform our operations to make sure we produce and transport our products in the most sustainable way. This work includes:
- Creating Zero Waste Operations: We achieved zero waste for disposal at all manufacturing facilities and distribution centers, meaning all locations have found ways to recycle, compost or recover energy from waste materials that would have otherwise gone to landfill.
- Using More Renewable Energy: All Nestlé facilities across the U.S. will be using 100% renewable electricity within the next five years.
- Being Good Water Stewards: We are dedicated to using water more efficiently, treating discharge water effectively and protecting watersheds in our communities.
- Building a Cleaner Logistics and Transportation Network: To reduce emissions and the use of fossil fuels, we are creating a cleaner, leaner logistics network by optimizing our routes, filling vehicles more efficiently and switching to low emission fuels.