Nestlé for Healthier Kids
Nutrition is key to ensure a child’s healthy development. But as always, theory is one thing, practice is another. Encouraging kids to eat more veggies and fruits, ensuring their meals are as nutritious as possible and incorporating diversified protein sources – including plant-based options – can sometimes prove challenging for parents and caregivers.
Nestlé for Healthier Kids brings together all our efforts to support parents and caregivers on their journey to raise healthier kids. We are launching more nutritious foods and beverages worldwide to answer children’s nutritional needs, while providing nutrition education through school programs, as well as everyday tips and healthy recipes for parents. Our ambition is to help 50 million children lead healthier lives by 2030.
Getting children involved in the preparation of meals leads them to adopt healthier eating habits – in short, their diet quality is higher, with children more inclined to eat fruits and vegetables. That’s why we encourage and advocate ‘togetherness’—when parents and kids come together in the kitchen.
Why are the best meals the ones that we prepare together?
- Diet quality is higher in children who help prepare meals at home
- Children who help with meal preparation at home at more fruits and vegetables
- Children involved in meal preparation increase preference for vegetables
Explore expert ideas about how to get kids cooking:
Accelerating the transformation of our product portfolio
To enable healthier and happier lives, we have completed the following:
- 98% of eligible food and beverage products include front-of-pack nutrition labeling
- 94% of our Nestle USA food and beverage products provide portion guidance either on-pack or via packaging or product format
- 85% of our food and beverage products contain no artificial flavors and only colors from natural sources
We have been transforming our business and expanding choices in our portfolio to deliver what consumers value in the food they eat, including organic ingredients, plant-based recipes, and products that are free from specific allergens. We are boosting the nutritional value of our portfolio by adding more vegetables, fiber-rich grains, pulses, nuts and seeds. Nearly half of our food and beverage products sold contain at least one of these benefits.
Explore our food innovations with stories from our dietitians and nutrition experts:
Providing inspiration through supportive programs and services
Parents and caregivers need help to raise kids with healthier eating and lifestyle habits. We develop programs and online services to provide them with nutritional knowledge, healthy recipes and practical tips. In 2018, Nestlé for Healthier Kids programs reached 29 million children in 86 countries around the world.
Here at Nestlé USA, we work with partners to help people in our communities gain better access to food, nutrition information, and culinary training. This work helps more Americans gain proper access to nutritional foods and the essential skills to provide for their families. Through partnerships we have:
- Donated 11 million meals to Feeding America, a national network of more than 200 food banks
- Provided school breakfasts to 10,000 Virginia children through Share Our Strength's 'No Kid Hungry' campaign
- Launched The Feeding Infants and Toddlers Study, the largest dietary intake study in the United States which examines what and how infants and toddlers eat every day
Learn more about these programs: